Tuesday 5 April 2016

EMPATHY IN HIGH PLACES

Today I received a positive letter from my local MP, Bob Neill.


I wrote to every Mayoral candidate, the Prime Minister, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Mayor of London, my local MP for Bromley & Chislehurst, the Suzy Lamplugh Trust, Rape Crisis England & Wales, and every single Taxi Charity we serve.
I received just five replies.
Personal replies from Bob Neill and Zac Goldsmith.
And assisted replies from Sadiq Khan, George Galloway and Boris Johnson.
I thank each and every one of those named. I know they are extremely busy individuals. Three of which are on a hectic campaign trail.

Of the other Mayoral candidates; I do understand they too have a busy schedule.

The Suzy Lamplugh Trust and Rape Crisis E&W seemed more concerned with donations than doing anything positive.

Sadly I have to report that not one of our Charities acknowledged my correspondence.
I thought their board of governors or management would have been only too pleased to give something back to a trade who have worked so tirelessly on their behalf.
Patrons of charities are excellent in the art of persuasion. They could have been of valuable service to the Licensed London Taxi trade, in our hour of need.
I wonder who they would turn to, if we were no more?

Empathy from the hierarchy is not enough to combat apathy from our own rank and file.
We must start looking after ourselves.

Do not listen to what anyone promises; including your own Union/Club/Group/Association. Look instead to what they do. Actions speak louder.
Loud speaking actions are all well and good if they ultimately achieve something.
What has your Union/Club/Group/Association actually achieved?
Very little, is the answer I keep hearing.
So let's honour our side of the bargain. And insist they honour theirs.
Be more proactive.
Be more hands on, at branch level.
Tell your Union/Club/Group/Association, through their chain of command, what you expect from them.

If you are not a member of a Union/Club/Group/Association with legal cover, then you are a lone fool, and probably a member of that subservient eighty percent who hinder this trade.
If you are a member of a Union/Club/Group/Association, then you must at least meet them halfway and attend meetings, ask questions, proffer ideas, vote on issues, and answer a call to arms if need be.

We do not have to be alone.
We are legion ... if we are many.

No comments:

Post a Comment